Monday, April 4, 2011

indonesian delight

SORRY, GUYS! I’ve had no Wi-Fi for a while, and it makes it very hard to blog. But I’ll catch you up now, ready??

I’ve already told you that Dutch food is really international. One of the most popular things in Amsterdam is the Indonesian rijsttafel. This apparently got started when Dutch people would go to the Dutch Indies to open plantations, and when they were given the simple Indonesian food (usually a meat and some vegetables with rice), they clamored for more food, and more kinds. Thus, rijstaffel, which means rice table, is a meal of rice, and about 20 other dishes.

We ate this one at Indrapura, which you should totally check out if you ever come to Amsterdam. First of all, the beer has a special glass:


Secondly, this is your delicious pastry appetizer (ground meat and egg inside, yum!)



Then you get all this:







This is actually a PERFECT meal for me and my honey. We are both picky in different ways, so I get to eat all the coconut dishes (curry, yum), and he gets all the seafood. It was awesome.

Afterward, we stopped for dessert. Easter is hopping on over, and all the pastry and chocolate shops are ready. Look at these cute eggs!




I got apple strudel. I couldn’t finish it, but I sure tried.



No comments:

Post a Comment